Milk provides a variety of essential nutrients such as protein, vitamin B2 and B12 and minerals including calcium, phosphorus, potassium and iodine. Therefore, milk naturally contains much more than calcium. Calcium supplements may be seen as an addition to the amount of calcium that is obtained from food, but not as an adequate replacement of a healthy and varied diet.
A varied and healthy diet with plenty of staple foods contains in general all the nutrients the body needs. Supplements can be seen as an addition to the diet and the intake of nutrients, but cannot adequately replace a healthy diet. Milk naturally provides nutrients such as protein, vitamin B2 and B12 and minerals including calcium, phosphorus, potassium and iodine. Therefore calcium supplements are not an adequate replacement of milk and other dairy products.
Studies on calcium supplementation show low compliance in the intake of supplements. This could be related to the size of calcium tablets and the gastrointestinal side effects which are associated with their use. People who are not eating a healthy and varied diet could believe that calcium tablets or supplements can serve as a substitute for a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.
FIGURE Vitamins and minerals in a glass of milk (200 ml)
- Bonjour J.P., (2011). Calcium and phosphate: a duet of ions playing for bone health. J Am Coll Nutr 2011;30:438S-48S.
- Foote J.A. et al (2004). Dietary variety increases the probability of nutrient adequacy among adults. J Nutr 2004;134:1779-85. Heaney R.P., (2009). Dairy and bone health. J Am Coll Nutr2009;28 Suppl 1:82S-90S.
- Miller G.D., et al (2001). The importance of meeting calcium needs with foods. J Am Coll Nutr 2001;20:168S-185S.
- Reid I.R., et al (2011).. Calcium supplementation: balancing the cardiovascular risks. Maturitas 2011;69:289-95.
- Weaver CM (2010). Role of dairy beverages in the diet. Physiol Behav 2010;100:63-6.
- Weinsier RL, Krumdieck CL (2000). Dairy foods and bone health: examination of the evidence. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;72:681-9.